Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday - Ministry at the Handicapped School and Preparing for home

This is the last day and emotions are high - sadness at having to leave, tiredness from a busy week and little sleep some nights, and missing home.  God has been at work in our lives.  Lunch was highlighted by a national favorite - guinea pig.

Sam Campbell: Hey everyone! Well today is the last morning in beautiful Ecuador. I'm going to miss this place so much. I am determined to take what I have learned here back to the States. Yesterday we celebrated Easter at Gustavo's church and worship was really fun. After that we went to the mall to eat lunch. I shared lunch with Rebecca and Emily. We really bonded while eating our food and ice cream. I've made so many friends while on this trip, and I hope those friendships last outside of this trip. We are like a family here and we know a lot about each other than we started out. While on this trip I have seen a small amount of God's wonder and beauty. May God protect us on our way back and keep us company as we sleep on the plane tonight. Love you all. God bless you.

Emily Ha: Hi ya'll! Today's our last day, sadly. There has been a lot going on this entire week. Yesterday, Easter Sunday, was an awesome day. We sat through an almost 3 hour service, people were falling asleep, but it was an interesting time. At the mall, we ate pretty legit Ecuadorian food, and it was delicious!! I had mora (a type of berry here) ice cream and it was so yummilicious! Then we went over to the MARKET!! I bought so many souveniors for me (and for family/friends). I sucked at bargaining, so Matt A. and Sam helped to bargain a lot of stuff down. It was a lot of fun! Then it started storming and we saw lightning and heard a lot of thunder...it rained really really hard. So on our way to the bus, we were screaming and running through puddles. We had a great time and I'm sad that we have to leave. But I really miss friends and family and I can't wait to see you all! Anyways, today we got the chance to go to the Camp Hope school (because last time, we went during their break, so none of the kids were there except for a few of the orphans and the handicapped kids). Sam and I got the chance to hang out and work with the 6th and 7th graders. These kids were different from all the other kids we worked with because these kids talked...a lot more. It was also an interesting experience because they knew a little English, so they got to practice the little English they know. They asked me my name, my age, and where I was from, all in English! It was also really funny when the kids saw my Silly Bands and asked to see what they were. Then I took them one by one and showed them to them. And they knew all the characters I had! I had characters from Scooby Doo to Tinkerbell to Blue from Rio (and one of the boys, David, actually said it was Blue - and that movie just came out a week ago...I didn't even say anything about it too!) Even though I sat there most of the time...because I didn't really understand anything and they were a little too old to play with like the little kids we were used to playing with, I still became friends with them. We played Uno and it was really funny. I couldn't understand any of their school work, but I sat there and tried to soak in Spanish and tried to understand what they were doing. When we got home, we had lunch. We looked in the kitchen and sitting on the table was a bowl of granadeas, homemade empanadas...and then Gustavo empties a paper bag - to reveal...A GUINEA PIG - or Cuy (named for the squeaky noise they make). We had been waiting to try Cuy for the entire week, and they finally got us one. It was really interesting...it had a smoky meat and there wasn't a whole lot of it either. But it was really good. But I think I like Guinea Pig...alive...better than as food. :) This week has been an amazing experience and I'm so glad to have shared it with the amazing people here. I'll miss Ecuador a ton, but I've learned a ton on this trip. I've learned to trust God completely in this trip. I realized how glorious and amazing God was. I had some time alone last night because I wasn't feeling so well, but as I listened to everyone else downstairs and their worship songs. I cried at God's majesty and His love. I was feeling homesick already, but His presence made me cry even harder. The Lord was so good to me. I felt a peace as the night progressed. I am so thankful for friends. My roomies became some of best friends. I love them! This has been the best experince, I'm so thankful that I got the chance to come down here! God had a purpose for me to be here, and there are so many instances where I saw it. I have enjoyed almost every moment here. Thank you all for keeping us in your prayers, I'll see you all after our long flight back! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment