Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Camp Hope for Handicapped kids

Emily Ha: So today was the day we got to work with the handicapped. We started off walking all the way to the Camp Hope school where there were handicapped kids that were intergrated with normal kids. It was a long half an hour walk, but it was fun. Then when we got to the school, it turned out the kids were on break because of Passover, and only the handicapped kids were there. So we seperated into groups and went into classrooms with the kids. All these kids are all different, but so amazing special in every way. At first, I didn't really know what to do or say. But as the day progressed, I got more comfortable. At the school, when the kids were eating bananas and milk (platanos y leche!), one of the handicapped boys turned me around and totally checked out my backside (sorry Matt!)...It was the funniest thing I had ever experienced and I and the other people around could not stop laughing. It was the most unexpected experience ever, but it really made me laugh really hard. We got to do our program after the pastor there kept preaching for about an hour (no joke)...and when we did our songs, we got to dance alongside the kids and it was fun! We got to go to the supermarket again, and we bought more exotic fruits to try, and we still have yet more to try. Then after lunch and our 3 hour break, we got to go the the Camp Hope home, where most of the handicapped kids stayed. At first, again, it was kinda awkward, we played hide and seek for a bit, and the kids enjoyed it. But once Gustavo brought a radio and blasted some upbeat songs, we ALL had a great time dancing around. We turned the radio station a whole bunch of times, so we had a huge variety of songs...from Spanish gangsta music to Spanish mambo type music to American pop songs (Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, JB etc.). But we had so much fun dancing with the kids! 3 girls really warmed up to Sammy and I and we danced for like 2 hours straight! They really liked to hold our hands and jump, dance, and scream! One of the girls, Jessica, saw my hair ties on my wrist and made me kneel down, then using her one capable hand and her chin and teeth, she tied my hair into 2 pigtails! It was really cool how she could tie it and tighten it with only one hand! This trip to the home, made me really realize that we are privileged with so much and that our purpose here is to keep giving love to those that may not have so much. Everything here is a totally new experience for me, and I'm enjoying every moment. As much as I am reminded of home, I really enjoy everything here and what Ecuador has to offer. I thank all that have been praying for us, and I encourage you all still to keep praying. I also ask for you all to pray for the sickness that is going around the team right now. We have a few girls down with fevers, and others with sore throats and a cough. So pray that everyone will heal quickly, get a lot more sleep, and that no one else will fall ill. Thank you! :)

Sam Campbell: Hi there. Well today I went through a lot...When I first woke up I could not move any part of my body,because we had spent 4 hours yesterday digging a 3 1/2 ft hole. My body is paying for it....But not only that, I couldn't talk. It seems I caught what's been going around for the past few days. Right now I am drinking lots of tea and praying that I get better soon. On a happier note, today at the offanage was a lot of fun I bonded with 3 little handicapped girls(one specifically,Maricol). They really touched my heart and my attitude on life. I am so thankful that God put me on this trip. I love everyone I meet and everything I see. Love you all. THANKS FOR READING! :)

Renee W
This trip has far exceeded all my expetations and hopes. I have so clearly seen God's love and what He is doing both in Ecuador and in my life. God has given me strength and love that I know is not from myself, but can only be from His power. Yesterday was probably the day that has made the most impact on me, with today's experiences being a close second. Yesterday, after a sleepless might and an exhausting morning of working, the team headed off to an orphanage. I was holding a very young boy who was pointing me around and exploring the campus with me, when I was directed into an empty room. As we walked in, a girl (probably 8ish years old) came into the room crying. As I squatted down to her level, I tried to talk to her and encourage her, but I couldn't get her to answer me or even look at me. Finally, I just moved a little closer and gave her a hug and from that moment on, she wouldn't leave my side. I was incredibly touched to watch her as she walked over to her younger sister (she held onto my jeans and guided me to where her sister was) and gave her the most selfless love I have ever seen. She and her sister had the cutest bond and, although they have next to nothing down here, I found myself envying that relationship. But anyways, then the girl, who I learned was named Kiara, asked me to pick her up and spent the next few hours on my shoulders. It was so fun to be able to invest my time and energy and get paid back with such joyful smiles. Whenever I have found myself in Spanish-speaking countries in the past, I have been able to realize how cool it is to be able to communicate to the people there in their own language, and yesterday it was such a blessing to be able to talk without difficulty to this little girl and understand all her responses. Finally, after a night of running around with "mi arana" (I called her my spider because she climbed all over me, and also because she thought it was funny :) ), parting was pretty difficult. She gave me one of the longest and tightest hugs I have ever received and several kisses. I told her that Jesus loves her and so do I as she reached her arms out the gate to wave goodbye. I hope I was able to make as much of an impact in her life as she did in mine.
Today was a very different experience caring for disabled people. I spent most of my time today with two young women. One, named Monica, was 36 years old and although she was confined to a wheelchair and could hardly speak, she was very intelligent, helpful, and conscientious. The other, who was 17 years old, was named Marisol, and she was also able to understand everything that was said to her. I received quite beautiful hairstyles (like I had the day before from Kiara) and I exhausted myself with tons of dancing, so it's a very good thing these kids don't care what I look like, they just want to be loved. Today I was really able to see God's power in me, because I was able to continue to love these people even when I usually wouldn't have been able to. This evening I was challenged to be very much of a servant, and although the work may have been gross, I have been rewarded and blessed so much by it. I hope that this trip will continue to impact my life and I will come home a changed person. God is amazing, I know that very well :) Thank you all for your continued prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment