Sunday, April 20, 2014

So Grateful

As I look back on this entire week and all the fun times that were had with our amazing team, the children from each of the villages, and the Ninawachi students, I have a hard time trying to pick out something that stood out to me the most. One of the highlights of my trip was the adventure into the Amazon Basin and the fact that we were able to play with and love on the kids of each of our villages. It was truly a blessing for me to be able to spend time with the kids during VBS and learn more about God through the love they showed for us even though they didn't know us at all in the beginning. Passing by the houses, built from mere planks of wood and blocks of cement, broke my heart and gave me joy at the same time. Not joy because these families live hard lives in extreme poverty, but joy because of the opportunity that God blessed our team with to be able to go into these communities and minister to them. One thing that will never leave my mind is the sight the adorable children in 24 de Mayo (my ministry site) surrounding each of my team members and climbing on every one of their limbs. It was great to see that even though all of us had a hard time communicating with the kids, we didn't let that stop us from building strong relationships with the little ones and showing them love. After a hard day of work with construction in the morning and VBS in the afternoon, we would come back to Ninawachi Mission School and hang out with all of the students from the school. We built even stronger relationships with them and learned so much from them, even though there was a little bit of a language barrier. We communicated through, not only choppy Spanish, but through crazy loud games of Egyptian War, jam sessions down in the prayer hut, and a mutual love of God. They showed me what it was like to truly live out a Christian life and to follow God with their entire heart. They were so sincere about their faith and didn't try to hide anything from us, but clearly laid out their lives in front of us with absolute honesty. Oh, and they were like the craziest, funnest people ever. It was super hard for me to say goodbye to them because they are our brothers and sisters in Christ and it feels like we were leaving family back in Ninawachi. Through the massive rain storms, gigantic bugs, trips down to bathe in the stream, VBS with some of the sweetest kids ever, devotions in the prayer hut, slashing through the forest with machetes, pouring concrete, stomping through the jungle to find the sweetest sugar cane and cacao beans, exploring caves, swimming under waterfalls, and experiencing God's incredible creation, I feel closer to the Lord and my family in Christ than I ever have before.   
- Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment